"Cell Reception" is the fourteenth episode of Season 3 of Team Four Star's DragonBall Z Abridged and is the forty-fourth episode overall. It was first uploaded on YouTube on September 30, 2014. Master Roshi reads the disclaimer for this episode and says "HA! Release." after finishing. As of this episode, the character reading the disclaimer no longer says "non-profit", which was also removed from the text on the screen.
Cell manages to escape from the Z-Fighters, but gets lost on the way to the next city. While reading the confusing signs, he gets called out by a bus full of Battle Ball players who are running late for a game. Cell then devours the entire team.
Meanwhile, Piccolo is angry that he let Cell get away, while Vegeta (who has just arrived) is pissed that Piccolo got stronger due to the fusion between him and Kami. Tien arrives later and Piccolo reveals that Cell is another android from the future, causing Vegeta to ask Trunks if there's a fifth android he left out. Worried about what could happen if Cell joins forces with the androids and what would happen if he finds what he needs, the group is stumped on what to do. Vegeta, however, brushes off the fact Piccolo is stronger now, and declares that he will find a way to ascend his Super Saiyan powers. Tien teases him about the names for them, causing a fuming Vegeta to leave. Trunks realizes that if Cell came from the future, there might be one in the current timeline. Krillin then theorizes that while Dr. Gero's lab was destroyed, the present Cell might be hiding out in an underground lab (as he implies, most mad scientists usually have basements). Trunks and Krillin go off to look for the lab, while Tien and Piccolo go off to look for Cell.
Returning back to the mountains, Krillin and Trunks shoot energy beams at the debris (with laser effects) till they find the entrance to the basement. They manage to find the Larva Cell, and blueprints of the androids. Said blueprints reveal their real names (Lapis and Lazuli), and built in bombs placed inside them. Trunks is a bit reluctant to kill present Cell like this, but Krillin insists on doing so. They blow him and the underground lab up and fly out.
Piccolo and Tien find the remains of the Battle Ball group, but can't find Cell anywhere. Unknown to the group, Cell has reached a city called Nicky Town, and devours all the inhabitants.
- Takahata101 – Cell, Bucko (Battle Ball Player)
- Lanipator – Piccolo, Krillin, Vegeta, Master Roshi
- KaiserNeko – Trunks, Oolong, Unnamed Cell Victim on Radio
- Hbi2k – Nail
- MasakoX – Gohan, Goku
- Ganxingba – Tenshinhan
- Hnilmik – ChiChi
- 1KidsEntertainment – Roger (Coach), Random Citizen
- Ricepirate – TJ
Running Gags Edit
- Vegeta asking Trunks if they're other androids he left out.
- Tien teasing Vegeta, revealing he does this because if Vegeta kills him, Tien will still win. And Vegeta knows this.
Cultural References Edit
- The dream sequence that Goku have are from One Piece and Naruto. Goku is dressed up as Luffy and Naruto Uzumaki. Piccolo is dressed up as Zoro during the One Piece sequence.
- Interestingly, both Piccolo and Zoro are voiced by Christopher Sabat in the FUNimation dub.
- Additionally, Colleen Clinkenbeard, the character who voices Luffy in the FUNimation dub, also voices young Goku and Gohan in Dragon Ball Z Kai.
- Krillin makes a Lost in Space reference by saying "Danger Will Robinson".
- Despite being covered in soot after the explosion, Krillin doesn't increase his Owned Count.
- First time since their debut that Android 16,17, and 18 do not appear.
- Tien has a fantasy Battle-Ball team.
- This is the first time since Super Saiyan Swagger that Goku speaks, without screaming.
- When Trunks finds the schematics for the androids, he notes that 17 & 18's real names are Lapis and Lazuli, and that 16 was modeled after Dr. Gero's son. This information was never stated in the original series, but was revealed in a 2014 Q&A with Akira Toriyama.
- In a deleted/alternate scene, Yamcha mentions that with Goku recovering quickly, he can fight the androids with Gohan, only for Oolong to stop him. Chi-Chi, in turn, threatens Yamcha, and forbids Gohan and Goku from fighting the androids. They scrapped it when they decided it wasn't different enough from the original scene, and more importantly, it wasn't funny.
Main seriesSeason 1Season 2Season 3 Movies Specials Kai Abridged Other