A disclaimer is generally any statement intended to specify or delimit the scope of rights and obligations that may be exercised and enforced by parties in a legally recognized relationship. It is used a way of avoiding copyright claims and to acknowledge the original source.
In DragonBall Z Abridged Edit
In every episode, Team Four Star puts a disclaimer stating that DragonBall Z Abridged is a (non-profit) fan based parody, while acknowledging DragonBall, DragonBall Z, and DragonBall GT are all owned by Funamation, Toei Animation, Fuji TV and Akira Toriyama. They end it by asking the viewers to support the official release.
In Episode 57, they changed the disclaimer to this:
"The Following is a fan-based PARODY.
DragonBall, DragonBall Z, DragonBall GT, and DragonBall Super are all owned by Funimation, Toei Animation, Shueisha, and Akira Toriyama.
Please support the official release."
Characters Reading Edit
Starting with episode 17, a character will read the disclaimer. The joke is that the character dies either in the episode they read the disclaimer, or foreshadows their death. It can also be read from a featured character.
Season 2 Edit
- Episode 17: Zarbon
- Episode 18: Vegeta
- Episode 19: Guldo
- Episode 20: Recoome
- Episode 21: Burter (Reads it really fast, then ends by saying "Yes! Best time!")
- Episode 22: Jeice
- Episode 23: Ginyu
- Episode 24: Super Kami Guru (Falls asleep before saying "Akira" and ends by saying "RELEEEEEEEEEASE!")
- Episode 25: Nail
- Episode 26: Dende (Doesn't say "non-profit")
- Episode 27: Vegeta
- Episode 28: Vegeta (Reads the disclaimer while coughing and wheezing repeatedly)
- Episode 29: Krillin (After reading, he asks the behind the scenes crew how he did. A crew member said it was good, and will send his paycheck to his next of kin, worrying Krillin)
- Episode 30 (Part 1, 2, & 3): Freeza
Season 3 Edit
- Episode 31: Turtle
- Episode 32: Bulma
- Episode 33: Mecha Freeza and King Cold (Freeza malfunctions at DragonBall GT causing King Cold to finish up. Freeza does start working properly again but says "Absilon" instead.)
- Episode 34: Yamcha (background music does not play)
- Episode 35: Yamcha (stops at the beginning, then continues in a worried tone ending by saying "Why do I have a bad feeling about this?")
- Episode 36: Android 19
- Episode 37: Yajirobe
- Episode 38: Android 20/Dr. Gero
- Episode 39: Chi-Chi (Goku is screaming his lungs out while she reads it)
- Episode 40: Korin
- Episode 41: Oolong
- Episode 42: Kami
- Episode 43: Piccolo
- Episode 44: Master Roshi (After reading, he says "Ha! Release!")
- Episode 45: Goku
- Episode 46: Dr. Briefs
- Episode 47: Android 17
- Episode 48: Imperfect Cell
- Episode 49: Bulma and Baby Trunks (Both take turns reading disclaimer before ending together)
- Episode 50: Semi-Perfect Cell
- Episode 51: Android 18
- Episode 52: Gohan
- Episode 53: Future Trunks
- Episode 54: Chi-Chi (Says non-profit despite Team Four Star removing it since Episode 44)
- Episode 55: Goku
- Episode 56: Gohan (Reads it while very uncomfortably hearing his parent's have sex)
- Episode 57: Mr. Satan
- Episode 58: Jimmy Firecracker
- Episode 59: Larry the Cameraman
- While the characters read the disclaimer since episode 17, KaiserNeko still reads the disclaimer for movies or specials.
- Bulma, Turtle, Yajirobe, Chi-Chi, Korin, Oolong, Dr. Briefs, Baby Trunks, Gohan, Future Trunks, Mr. Satan, Jimmy Firecracker, and Jerry the Cameraman are the only characters so far to read the disclaimer and not die.
- Vegeta, Dende, Super Kami Guru, Krillin, Yamcha, Piccolo, Master Roshi, and Goku are the only ones to read the disclaimer and have been revived by the DragonBalls.
- Krillin and Master Roshi are the only ones that died and came back from the original DragonBall series.
- Super Kami Guru is the only person to die permanently after being revived from the DragonBalls.
- Freeza (if one counts the three parts in episode 30) has the honor of reading the disclaimer the most at 4 times.
- Vegeta holds the second best at 3 times.
- So far, Vegeta, Freeza, Bulma, Yamcha, Cell, Chi-Chi, Goku, and Gohan are the only people who have read the disclaimer at least twice.
- Vegeta, Freeza, and Yamcha are the only ones to read it consequently.
- Throughout the Series, the Disclaimer has been updated with the following:
- Characters read the disclaimer since Episode 17.
- There is background music during the disclaimer since "Battlefield Ee-arth".
- Starting in the episode "Cell Reception", Team Four Star drops the "non-profit" line out of the disclaimer. This is because their other videos such as Let's Plays, Episode Breakdowns, etc., their merchendises and their Patreon page have gained enough profit to make it irrelevant. That being said, Team Four Star has stated they will never gain profit from the DragonBall Franchise.
- In Opening Serumonies, Dragonball Super is added in, and Fuji TV is replaced by Shueisha.