The Great Ape (Known as Oozaru in Japan) is a transformation obtainable by Saiyans, in which they turn into, for lack of a better description, a Giant Monkey. This increases their power by 10x that of their base. It is obtained by a Saiyan simply staring at the Moon, if they still have their tail. One can also use an Artificial Moon to transform at any time.
- Vegeta - Used this form once, against Goku on Earth, through use of his artificial Moon, but was eventually defeated with help from Yajirobe-ex-machina.
- Goku - Used once, accidentally, as a child, and killed Grandpa Gohan.
- Gohan -Used three times. (twice canonically) The first time was during his training with Piccolo, which the latter resolved by destroying the Moon, and ripping off the former's tail. Used again during the fight against Vegeta, where the latter cut the tail off with a Destructo-Disc, only to be crushed by Gohan as he De-transformed. Was used AGAIN in the Christmas Tree Of Might movie, after Turles forced Gohan to stare at an artificial Moon, in a battle that was cut anticlimactically short by Goku once again cutting off Gohan's tail.
- Bardock & his crew - Used at the beginning of Bardock: Father of Goku, to attack a planet supposedly full of psychics (Reportedly, THEY CAN SEE THE FUTURE!)
- There was a running gag during Episode 10, with Vegeta in his Great Ape form, in which he would keep getting hit in the eyes by attacks.
- Gohan is the only character to have used this form more than once, having used it a total of three times. (One of which was in a non-canon movie.)
- (As pointed out by Goku) Logically, the size of the Great Apes, and the immense power boost given by the form, should make the user slower. However, for whatever reason, this is not the case.
|Appearances of Great Ape mode in DragonBall Z Abridged|
*Episode 10: Used by Vegeta in Part 2. Used by Gohan in Part 3.