Baldy & Bald Man (Vegeta), Maggot (Mr. Popo), Juan Sanchez (Episode 31 only), Majestic creature (Dodoria), Tien (Dr. Gero), Space Duck
Human, Space Duck, Albino Namekian
Fighter, Millionaire Playboy (temporary),Space Duck
Alive (for now)
Making stupid comments, Goku, Trunks, easy things, friends, Yamcha, Little Green, Gohan, Team Three Star, Android 18, quacking
Krillin Sanchez (クリリンサンチェス, Kuririnsanchesu) is the best friend of Goku and a Z fighter who is short, bald (with the exception of later years) and baby-faced, and provides comic relief during tense moments. Once a fierce rival of Goku, he quickly became his best friend while training under Master Roshi. He also is close to Goku's son, Gohan. Krillin is known for being very cunning during his fights often relying on tricking his opponents to defeat them.
In the AnimeEdit
He is a good-natured, outgoing and competitive martial artist. His only true vice seems to be his interest in women, though as the series progresses his intentions lean more romantic, and in dangerous situations he sometimes despairs about possibly dying unmarried. Despite his reputation as being a weakling compared to his Saiyan comrades, he is considered to be one of the stronger pure-blooded humans in the Dragon Ball series, being thousands of times stronger than the average person, and in later years is deemed the strongest pure-blooded human. Although he is not as strong as Goku or Gohan, his determination in helping his friends is a key asset. Krillin has trained hard most of his life, becoming extremely powerful and proving it in combat with many foes. Unfortunately, he is quickly outclassed by many of the other characters in the series, such as Piccolo and the Saiyans; though among all the full-blooded humans he faces in combat he is one of the strongest.
In DBZ AbridgedEdit
In the Abridged series, he is potrayed as weaker than he usually is and gets picked on by other characters more often. Reflecting his tendancy to be a punching bag, a "Krillin Owned Count" charts all the times he's been beaten up or disrespected. Gohan seems to be the only character who avoids doing so, later admitting Krillin is one of his few (abnormal) friends. Krillin has several talents, such as an inferred monumental... 'capacity' ("Oh my god, it's EVERYWHERE!"), and the ability to mimic a space duck. The latter is so impressive that Goku thinks that he hears a duck when Krillin's calling for help, and only realizes that it's his friend when Krillin quacks.
In the early episodes he cared very much for Yamcha. The latter returns that respect after Krillin is beaten and who-knows-what-else during Popo's training, but gets a dirty look from Tien as a result. After Yamcha is killed by a Saibaman, Krillin attempts to avenge Yamcha's death, managing to kill three Saibamen (which no-one takes seriously anyway).
He has been able to throw a few punches and take some. He manages to knock Nappa on the head when Piccolo sent him flying over to him and his Kienzan actually managed to cut his face. In the Namek saga he has had a steamroller dropped on him by Guldo, which caused no damage to him whatsoever.
However, he does have his flaws. He doesn't tend to pay close attention to others, he's insensitive about death (albeit unintentionally), he's a coward, and he cannot shut up when he's scared.
In spite of this, he will often go into a fight even when he knows he has no chance of winning, either because he's being threatened by something else (i.e. Chi Chi with a carving knife) or because he's thrown right into the action out of nowhere and has no choice but to try and fight anyway.
Krillin's cries for help caused the arriving Goku to mistake him for a duck until he quacked, leading Goku to realize that it was him and fly over to his location. There Goku greeted him and Krillin compared his pain to when he died when asked by his friend how he was feeling. Krillin was given a Senzu Bean by Goku and started to reveal all that had troubled him and the others while on the planet before Goku's arrival before the latter read his mind and learned of the events without further dialogue between the two. Krillin questioned Goku on how he was able to read his mind and the pair both expressed confusion after Goku revealed it was due to the muffin button.
Krillin fell victim to Jeice and Burter's Seizure Procedure, foaming from the mouth as a result of staring directly at it despite Gohan's attempts at warning him and later expressed surprise at Goku's newfound strength. After learning he had trained at 100x normal gravity, Krillin reasoned this was why he was able to easily defeat the group.
Krillin watched the fight between Goku and Freeza, telling Gohan that it was time they got involved before backing down. When Goku moved his hands to initiate charging the Spirt Bomb, Krillin yelled out what he was doing and that it was the only thing that could kill Freeza before being hit by Piccolo, making Freeza question what he was "yammering on about". Krillin screamed out further, earning him more hits from Piccolo and watched as the attack seemingly killed Freeza. He asked Gohan if he thought "he was still alive" and the latter failed to realize he was talking about Goku. The two were reunited with him and Piccolo, laughing together at Goku's joke before Freeza revealed himself to still be alive and shot Piccolo, Krilin remarking that he was happy it was not him. Freeza informed him that he was next and Krillin questioned what he had ever done to him, after which Freeza recalled him removing his tail. Krillin questioned if he could take a joke and smiled at the villain, before being killed by imploding on himself after being launched into the air.
Krillin watched the fight between Goku and Android 19. When Yamcha started to face criticism by Tien for not mentioning earlier that the android was capable of absorbing energy after he warned Goku of this when the latter was preparing a Kamehameha wave, Krillin defended him, stating that he needed the criticism like "a hole in the chest" in reference to his earlier injury and asked around if anyone understood his joke, the only person replying being Goku. When Goku started to suffer from an approaching heart attack, Krillin threw a Senzu Bean to him at his request. Piccolo tried to jump in when it seemed Goku was losing but was shot down by Android 20, though revealed after Vegeta arrived that he had faked his injury and questioned where was his Senzu Bean. Krillin in response threw one to him and then one to Yamcha when everyone apart from him unanimously agreed that he would be better off leaving with Goku than staying.
In the Androids Saga he's more confident. When Dr. Gero blasts him, he gets right back up.
He also cares for Goku and in Episode 40 tries to stop the Androids from killing him, only to get the reply from 17 that he's not threatening, and a kiss on the cheek from 18.
Krillin watched the fight between Vegeta and Android 18, becoming scared when the latter broke his arm. He expressed his confidence in Trunks when the half-Saiyan charged at Android 18 in an attempt to defend Vegeta, recalling that his sword cut Freeza in half and being shocked upon seeing Android 18 take it to the wrist without injury. After Trunks was knocked down by Android 17, Krillin told Tien and Piccolo that they needed a plan and started to suggest a strategy when the pair charged to help their two allies, after which he said they should have ran away.
After Vegeta was knocked into Trunks by Android 18 and caused the latter to become unconscious, Krillin reasoned this was why the group did not usually team up and said he would just do what they usually did and wait for Goku. In saying this, he attracted the attention of Android 16, who looked over to him. Krillin responded by quacking, bringing the possibility to Android 16 that he was possibly a duck. After the group of four was defeated by the android duo, Krillin made a sound and caught their attention as well, questioning afterward in his mind why he even did things.
Androids 17 and 18 came closer to him and he insisted that if they were to "come to blows", he would "come up short". The pair agreed, Android 17 even saying he was about as "threatening as a cocker spaniel", which Krillin thought was a "fantastic point" and opted to continue standing around and doing nothing. Android 18 said the group was going to go "kill Goku" and Krillin struggled to let out that the group could not kill him, elaborating further that they could but should not. After Android 16 reasoned that he wanted to kill him, Krillin said he would be forced to stop them, leading Android 18 to kiss him before the androids walked away and then flew together.
Krillin was surprised by the kiss and could not wait to tell the group, as soon as he finished giving them Senzu Beans. Krillin was surprised by how few he had, as he remembered having "at least 15" of them prior but assumed that he should have enough for everyone and thought they would not believe him when he told them. After the group was brought back to their consciousness, the reactions varied from not believing him, as Tien and Trunks stated, to Piccolo not caring. Krillin asked Vegeta who then flew off and in doing so, learned from Trunks that his mother Future Bulma had never told him of Vegeta's attack on Earth with Nappa.
He was further shocked when learning from Trunks that the androids were stronger in their timeline than in his. After Piccolo and Tien lamented that even with two Super Saiyans they were not effective, Krillin mentioned the possibility of a Super Namekian to Piccolo, who became frustrated and left. Krillin assumed he was flying up to Kami's Lookout and explained its difference from Kame House to a confused Trunks, which he clarified was "the place with the turtle."
He then takes charge of the situation and gets everyone to move Goku to Kame House (a horrible decision).
In Episode 44 he destroyed the Cell prototype while invading Dr. Gero's abandoned lab with Future Trunks.
Shortly while staying at Kame House, Krillin had a dream that he was fighting Cell and saving a family. He woke up by the time the Androids had arrived (to his horror, though 18's appearance was more to his delight).
Krillin remained on the island as Piccolo left to fight Android 17, promising to Spacebook him later.
After Cell arrived at the battlefield, Krillin became visibly fearful after sensing his energy. He left Kame House to meet Bulma after Chi-Chi made the suggestion, which he found brilliant and complimented her for before departing.
In a very Mystery Science Theater 3000 circumstance, Vegeta sometimes forces him to play horror video games just to get a kick out of it. Fortunately he's a skilled gamer who will more often than not high-tail it in the right direction when danger is near.
Krillin Owned CountEdit
A running gag in the series is a counter known as the "Krillin Owned Count", which records all the times Krillin has been physically or verbally abused, or 'owned':
- Krillin Owned Count: 1- Raditz "bitch slaps" Krillin into Kame House.
- Krillin Owned Count: 2- Master Roshi tells Krillin to shut up after Krillin's "Dammit Roshi!" in response to Roshi not stopping Piccolo from taking Gohan.
- Krillin Owned Count: 3- Krillin is knocked off Kami's lookout by Mr. Popo for attempting to ask a question about the pecking order.
- Krillin Owned Count: 4- During their training in the simulator, Krillin is dragged into a pit by a Saiyan, beaten to a pulp, and then "greeted" by Mr. Popo.
- Krillin Owned Count: 5, 6 & 7- Krillin's Kage Bunshin no Jutsu fails against Nappa, and the first clone is thrown to the ground, then Krillin's second clone falls on top of the first one, then Krillin's third clone falls on both of the others and Krillin's clones turn back to one Krillin.
- Krillin Owned Count: 8- Krillin is caught in the midst of one of Nappa's most powerful attacks.
- Krillin Owned Count: 9- Krillin is pummeled into the ground by Vegeta after Vegeta's tail is cut off.
- Krillin Owned Count: 10- Vegeta bitch slaps Krillin.
- Krillin Owned Count: 11- Krillin owns himself with a lame CSI-esque one-liner after beating two of Frieza's men.
- Krillin Owned Count: 12- Krillin is hit by Recoome's "Recoome Kick".
- Krillin Owned Count: 13- Krillin has a seizure from Jeice and Burter's "Seizure Procedure".
- Krillin Owned Count: 14- Krillin is bitch slapped by Captain Ginyu in Goku's body.
- Krillin Owned Count: 15 - 25- Frieza impales and tortures Krillin on one of his horns then coldy throws him into the lake below.
- Krillin Owned Count 26- Krillin owns himself again by cracking his neck.
- Krillin Owned Count 27- As Frieza is being spun by Goku, Frieza vomits which heads towards Krillin's face.
- Krillin Owned Count 28- Frieza blows Krillin up in the air.
- Krillin Owned Count 29- Krillin gets busted for "insurance fraud" and is ordered by Maron (who was working undercover for the "State Fraud Bureau") to pay back everything he bought with the money he received.
- Krillin Owned Count BOOM- Gets bitch slapped by Raditz's tail again in Dragon Ball Z Kai Abridged causing the counter to rapidly increase in numbers to the point it where overloads and explodes.
- Krillin Owned Count 30- Krillin is ambushed by Dr. Gero who then proceeds to beat him up senselessly before escaping to his lab, leaving Krillin behind lying in pain. This is a clear reference to the 2012 film "Marvel's The Avengers" in which Loki suffers a similar fate at the hands of the Incredible Hulk; Krillin even makes the same noise of pain after Gero's escaped.
- Krillin Owned Count 31- Krillin gets whacked by the door thanks to Chi-Chi
- Evolution Krillin Owned Count 1- In the honest trailer of Dragon Ball Evolution by Screen Junkies, starring Team Four Star, Krillin gets owned when he is not in the movie. However, considering the movie's misrepresentation of the characters, this was probably a blessing in disguise.
- Hallowned Count 1- Krillin gets rammed through the wall of a plane by Cell.
Another running gag is when a character is either injured, humiliated or destroyed, Krillin yells "SENZU BEAN!" and tosses a Senzu Bean at them. So far, this running gag has only appeared in Episodes 36 and 37:
- Goku - During the battle with Android 19, Goku (in his Super Saiyan form) asks Krillin for a Senzu. Despite catching and eating the Senzu bean, the effects of the bean made Goku's heart condition worse.
- Piccolo - After getting up from faking an injury by Android 20 (Dr. Gero), Piccolo demands "Where was MY Senzu Bean?". Krillin throws the bean, but Piccolo makes no effort to catch it (unlike Goku). The bean hits Piccolo in the face, making him frustrated (judging by his facial expressions).
- Yamcha - After admitting how he'll just get in the way during the battle (Which everyone agreeing in an unhelpful manner, to the point where Vegeta angrily questions why Yamcha's even there), Yamcha, like Piccolo before him, recieves a Senzu Bean to the face from Krillin. Humiliated at how he gets a Senzu Bean, even after he just took one from Bulma right before entering the battlefield, Yamcha sarcastically bids the rest of the Z Fighters "You know what? Have fun!" before flying off with an unconscious Goku.
- Android 19 - Android 19 also receives a Senzu-to-the-face (Though it should be noted that after his battle with Vegeta, his face is all that remains). On top of that, Android 19 also gets a dog treat thrown at him by Vegeta, a reference to how Vegeta used to treat Guldo like a dog prior to joining the Z Fighters.
- Vegeta also asks for a Senzu Bean after Gero escapes, but it turns out that unlike what everyone thought, Krillin wasn't simply giving the beans away.
- In Episode 37, Piccolo again asks for a Senzu prior to escaping and challenging Dr. Gero. The exchange goes as such:
- Piccolo: Krillin, Senzu Bean.
- Krillin: Senzu Bean?
- Piccolo: Senzu Bean.
- Krillin: SENZU BEAN!!!!
- "Hello, Gohan, have you done your homework? 'Cause if you don't Chi-Chi will KICK my ass!"
- (After defeating 2 of Frieza's henchmen with the help of Gohan ) "Ha! looks like they're all...washed up! ...Yeah! Da-da-da-da..."
- Gohan: Hey, Krillin, look! The Dragon Balls!
Krillin: Whoa, those things are huge! AC/DC be damned. Jeez. These aliens are scary. Especially that one in the front. Looks like a total FAG.
Krillin: What? A Freaky Alien Genotype. What’d you think I meant?
Gohan: Oh, I thought you were calling him a derogatory term for a homosexual.
Krillin:"That thing's a guy?!"
- "Well I dunno maybe you could've bitched at him, how about that? Seems that's all you appear to be good for these days, huh? Use your bitch-fu on him? Bulma the Mistress of Bitching, that's what they should call you. Seriously, five ancient sages of bitch gathered atop the peaks of Mt. Bitch to proclaim your birth, and 100 years later, when all the bitch stars had aligned, you were born and made everyone's life around you a living hell, because you are SUCH a BITCH!" (to Bulma)
- (When Goku is preparing the Spirit Bomb)"Wait a second, HE'S USING THE SPIRIT BOMB!"
Frieza-"The spirit what's it now?"
Piccolo-"Would you stop screaming?"
Krillin-"THE SPIRIT BOMB IS THE ONLY THING THAT CAN KILL FRIEZA!"
- Well we saw Gohan earlier, but he was busy pounding the Tuna. (a few seconds and blank stares later) What! With Goku gone Chichi needs someone to do it!
- Gohan! Once you've had a man inside of you, you know when he's coming.
- "Oh yes we've forgot the obvious question there but HOW DID YOU SURVIVE!"
- (In response to Yamcha saying he will sit this one out when the Z fighters leave with Dr.Gero and #19) Ah Yeah I getcha,I never have any energy after I get a handjob either. Badabup BuhBye!
- (In response to everyone injured or humiliated except Vegeta) "SENZU BEAN!!!"
- Piccolo: Alright, we've got a lot of ground to cover.
- Krillin: Please don't say what I think you're gonna say!
- Piccolo: We should probably-
- Krillin: Here it comes...
- Piccolo: Stick together for safety.
- Krillin: Oh... THANK OUR GREEN GOD ON THE LOOKOU-
- Tien: I dunno. Probably cover more ground if we split up
- . Krillin: YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!
- Piccolo: Nah, he's got a good point.
- Krillin: AH GREEN GOD DAMMIT!
- BOOBS! I mean, Bulma!
"Oh man, I have the craziest dream! Cell was there!" ("Well, the Androids are here!" "Yo.") "Ahh!"
- Season One
- Season Two
- Season Three
- The episodes when he does not get owned (or at least not in ways that are tracked on the counter) are episodes 4, 5, 7, 11, 12, 15, 17, 18, 19, 24, 27, 30, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 39, 40, 42, 43, 46 and 47.
- He has stated in "The return of Raditz...wait!" that he goes to therapy because of everyone's constant insults.
- He can feel, hear and taste energy.
- While Vegeta hates Krillin, he is still only "the second most annoying bald person he's ever had the displeasure to work with", the first being Nappa.
- Krillin has owned himself twice with in the series.
- Bulma has implied that Krillin is Asian. However, his last name is Sanchez, meaning he's Latino.
- Despite Krillin's status as a joke character, both Nappa and Vegeta have acknowledged him as being stronger than Raditz. He's also generally held in higher regard than Yamcha.
- As a callback to his origins as a monk, it is stated that Krillin is Buddhist.
- He has a bad memory with names. Last time Krillin was at Korin Tower he forgot Korin's name and called him Whiskers the Wonder-cat (this is a reference to the first English dub of Dragon Ball by Gold Harmony in which many characters were renamed for English, Korin was renamed "Whiskers the Wonder Cat")
- He is a very skilled gamer, even if the only things he gets to play are horror games.
- Lanipator stated at the 2012 Youmacon that out of all the abridged series Krillin was his favorite character to voice, as he has "the best punch drunk lines",