Super Saiyan is the name given to a transformation that first appeared during the Freeza Saga. Supposedly, Super Saiyan multiplies the user's power to 50x their Base. This form was first achieved by Goku during his fight with Freeza on Namek, and has since become a staple of the series, as now around 95% of living Saiyans have acheived this form.
This is the basic Super Saiyan, the form prophecised in legend, that somehow managed be first achieved by Goku of all people!
- Goku - The first Super Saiyan, the one who made the legend a reality. He was on Namek. He thought he had finally defeated Freezer with the Spirit Bomb. But it turns out, he was still alive! He killed Vegeta, Krillin. Piccolo...tripped or something... It was pretty bad for everyone. Then, he threatened to do the same to his son... oh hey, Gohan was there! Then Goku had enough. Consumed by anger, he transformed into the legendary Super Sandwich and defeated Freezer forever! ... maybe...
- Trunks - Being the second person to pull off this feat, everyone was shocked when he showed up out of nowhere, cut almost all of Freeza's forces into pieces, transformed into the second Super Saiyan anyone had ever known, and quickly disposed of Freeza and his father, King Cold. As he never explained to anyone, he achieved this through the rage of losing Gohan, his mentor and hero/role-model in the future.
- Vegeta - After two people fulfill a Thousand year old prophecy, being third really isn't much of an achievement anymore. Never the less, Vegeta arrived just as Goku was having a Heart Attack against Android 19, and miraculously transformed into ANOTHER Super Saiyan, to then wipe the floor with the Automaton Of Fun, and destroy him, before throwing a Dog Treat at his head, the only piece remaining. After questioning from Gohan, the young saiyan stating that only pure-hearted warriors could become Super Saiyans, Vegeta told the others, he achieved this form through "Push-Ups, Sit-Ups and plenty of juice" while, as a cutaway flashback tells us, he literally banged on the ground and whined until he could become a Super Saiyan.
- Gohan - After spending over 3/4 of a year inside the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Goku finally decided to teach Gohan how to DOOOOODGE in the best way possible; firing a Super Saiyan blast right towards him that could easily kill him. However, due to Pavlov, Gohan did not dodge, instead taking the blast head on, trying to hold it back. After begging someone to come save him, he realizes that no-one is here, no-one can save him now like always... except him. If he can't dogde... he'll just have to fight! He powers up and becomes the youngest Super Saiyan so far, bouncing his idiot father's blast back at him, which Goku gracefully avoids, only to give a childish squeal of excitement when he realizes what just happened, trying to calm down Gohan, and offering him a haircut. But Gohan can't hear him through his rage and new-found power!
- Spudz - Spudz's own form of the Super Saiyan attained from fighting Piccolo. This form turns his hair gold and is much stronger than the regular Super Saiyan form, and might be comparable to the power of ten supernovas.
- Paata - Paata can naturally transform into a Super Saiyan increasing his base power by 50 times In Pathfinder it was triggered due to the trauma of Haniya's supposed death.
- Ranch - Learned this during her training prior to the Boo Arc.
2nd Grade Super Saiyan Edit
A powered up form of the basic Super Saiyan. Oddly enough, DBZ Abridged gives no introduction to this form, as it just... appears....
- Vegeta - After spending a year inside the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Vegeta ascended to the next level of 2nd Super Saiyan, gradually becoming stronger than even Goku to which he only replies "neat". This ascended level was more than strong enough to defeat Cell in his semi-perfect form, but was convinced by the latter to help in absorbing Android 18 which in turn made him even stronger than Vegeta.
- Trunks - After spending a year inside the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with Vegeta, who did nothing but just scream at him, was able to achieve the new level of 2nd Grade Super Saiyan (With Vegeta arrogantly claiming that Trunks was almost as strong as the former)
3rd Grade Super Saiyan Edit
Another powered up state that, while much more powerful than Super Saiyan, loses some mobility due to it's bulk. Only appeared in one episode, once again unnamed.
- Trunks - During his training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Trunks managed to surpass his father in strength in the ascended form 3rd Grade Super Saiyan, but decided to keep it a secret as Vegeta would be angry, ALTHOUGH ANGRY IS HIS DEFAULT EMOTION. After Vegeta became completely dominated by Cell in his perfect form, Trunks decided to unleash his hidden power in an attempt to defeat Cell. Although in raw power, Trunks was as strong as Cell, his body couldn't compensate for his increase in mass to achieve this power, causing his speed and mobility to decrease making it so he couldn't lay a single blow on the bio-android.
- Goku - Achieved while training in the Hyperbolic time Chamber. After achieving this form, Goku quickly noticed the major flaw thanks to his experience in fighting. Goku tells Gohan (While he's thinking about fighting),"And while you'll see a fifty percent power increase, you'll see a seventy-five percent decrease in speed and mobility! You'd never hit your opponent!".
- Ranch - Shown off this power to Caulifla during the Tournament of Power.
Full Powered Super Saiyan Edit
- Goku - As an alternative to 3rd Grade Super Saiyan, Goku and Gohan continued to train, but in Super Saiyan Form for the entire time. Due to staying in Super Saiyan form for around 3/4 of a year, both he and Gohan can now use their Super Saiyan form in civilian life as well as battles, but admits that they've forgotten "how to turn it off".
- Gohan - After achieving normal Super Saiyan, Gohan trained alongside Goku to master this form. When asked by Trunks, Gohan explains that after extended exposure and focus, their bodies have acclimated to the elevated state and are now able to sustain it without any loss in stamina, casusing Vegeta to become extremely angry as he's been once again surpassed in strength.
|Appearances of the Super Saiyan form in DragonBall Z Abridged|
- Episodes 30 (part 1,2,3), 33-36, 50, 52-59, Revenge of Cooler, Cooler 2, Super Android 13, and Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan show Goku in his Super Saiyan form.
- Episodes 33, 34, 39, 40, 51-54, Super Android 13, Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan. and History of Trunks show Future Trunks in his Super Saiyan form.
- Episodes 36-42, 49-52, 56, Cooler 2, Super Android 13, and Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan show Vegeta in his Super Saiyan form
- Episodes 52-59 and Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan show Gohan in his Super Saiyan form.
- Goku is seen the most in this form at 14 episodes and 4 movies.
- Gohan is seen the least with only 8 episodes and 1 movie.
- Both Goku and Gohan both hold the record for most consecutive episodes in Super Saiyan at 8 episodes.
- Vegeta holds the third best record at 7 episodes.