Videl is the daughter of Mr. Satan and Miguel. She is first referenced by Mr. Satan himself in Opening Serumonies*, with Cell calling her a "poor orphan" which her father realizes that Cell was insulting his child. She makes her physical debut (in original animation) in episode 59.
Videl's character design during the tournament is purportedly based off of "Fasha" (Vasha/Seripa), a female saiyan from the Bardock special. The child and preteen version of Videl in Cell Games saga. At the end of Dragon Ball Z, her attitude was much more leveled off; her temperament from earlier episodes softened considerably.
Videl is a tough, tomboyish character, raised with fame all around her. She was a meek and soft child as she meets Gohan as they were children in Cell Games during the Cell Saga. She's feisty and stubborn, compared to Bulma's personality, who is happy and easy-going. After blackmailing Gohan to enter the tournament and teach her the levitation technique (using ki energy to fly), she gradually starts to fall in love with him, for his kind and honest heart. She later becomes the wife of Gohan and mother of Pan.
Videl was born in Age 756. Videl grew up learning martial arts, hoping to be as great as her father, when in fact, unknown to herself, she was already better and stronger than him. On May 7 of Age 767, when she was 11, Videl won in the Junior Division of the 24th World Martial Arts Tournament. Her mother left Mr. Satan and their daughter Videl at one point, leaving only the two of them in their family. But they have got loads of servants. Her father is very protective of her, especially in respect to boys, only allowing her to have a boyfriend if he was stronger than him, which Videl thought was impossible (until Gohan came along as he's now a 16-year-old high school teenager after Cell got killed by him 7 years ago).
- In episode 59, she was voiced by Sarah Anne Williams (Child) there's no word if she voices Videl when she became a teenager.
- In the original American dub, she is voiced by Kara Edwards (DBZ); Lucy Small (DBGT); Brina Palencia (Super Dragon Ball Z)
- Her liking Kid Gohan's hairdo is a reference to her later attraction to Gohan, as well as how she will have a near identical hairstyle once she cuts her's.
- She likes Harry Potter.
- This could be a reference to Babidi showing up around the time she makes her debut.
- She first appears as a 11-year-old child who's around the same age group as Gohan (if not slightly older) in the Cell Games to as she watch Gohan chosen by his father, Goku, to fight Perfect Cell.